Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Thermostat cat

I'm having a bad day.
When that happens, I try to write to keep my mind occupied.
Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's not.
I really don't care.
Normally this is my favorite day of the year because I have made it through the nauseating day that yesterday brings.  I'm exhausted from punching teddy bears at Walgreens and the dirty looks that often accompany said punches.

The puzzle of the day however, entails how my thermostat keeps getting turned up.
At first I thought maybe I was clumsy and I bumped it.  That's not out of the realm of possibilities because I tend to be a bit of an oaf.  Certainly plausible... at first.

Howeverrrrrrr,  when it started happening repeatedly, I began to get a little more concerned.
Not only concerned for my lack of spatial awareness and balance, but for my electric bill.
When the thermostat goes up, so does the bill.  It's winter.
So after a few of these episodes when I thought I was especially avoiding that wall, I decided to take matters into my own hands and bought a little cage for it.
Yes.  They make little houses for thermostats for lummoxes like me.  Amazing.
My hope was that this little cage would clod proof this evil instrument.
So I successfully snapped that puppy on and waited.
THREE days went by and I thought i was home free.
I was wrong.
On day 4 it mysteriously was turned up again... WITH THE CAGEY THINGY FIRMLY IN PLACE.
Now a reasonable person like myself would come to one of the following conclusions:
A) My house is haunted
B) The cat is not happy with the climate control in the abode we share and has sinisterly figured out how to mess with it whilst I'm at work.

Now let's think about this.
Option A, cannot be an option.  I don't know if I believe in ghosts or not, but to entertain this as an actual possibility would mean things I'm not prepared to address.  I don't want to have to pack and leave in the middle of the night poltergeist style.

So... option B.  From a logistical standpoint, the paw "could" fit through the cagey thingy.
She can jump that high... so maybe it took her 3 days of practice before nailing it.  I'm fairly certain she is not pulling up a chair and taking her time adjusting it before returning the chair to its original place.  If Toonces can drive, there are things I cannot dismiss.

Case in point:  I went on vacation and put her treats on the shelf that lies about 5 1/2 feet off the ground.   I came home to an empty bag of treats on the floor full of puncture marks.
Do I have any idea how she did it?
No.
But she figured it out.
Apparently I have underestimated the will and determination of this evildoer.

I don't know what to do at this point.  I tried talking to her.
She appeared aloof and disinterested in everything I was saying.
Not exactly the response I was hoping for.

I just know this roommate situation is still not working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment